For the serious cook then there is nothing quite like ensuring that you make the perfect roast potato… A batch of good old roasties can make or break a dinner and you may be thinking goose fat is the key ingredient to achieving that ‘crunch’, there is however another alternative which gives you the whole crunch factor and also delivers a flavour unique to Spain and that is ‘Iberico’. Using Iberian ‘tocino’ to baste your par-boiled potatoes will send them into a crispy crunch flavour frenzy – take our word for it, this stuff is good! Here is the very simple recipe for perfect Iberico roast potatoes using mildly cured tocino. Iberico potatoes:
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 50 – 60 minutes
Serves: 4 – 6
250g Iberico tocino
- Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5
- Peel the potatoes and cut them so they are all more or less the same size and rinse in cold water.
- Place the peeled potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold water and season with salt. Bring the pan to the boil and then cook for about 6 minutes so the potatoes are par boiled.
- When the potatoes have cooked for 6 minutes drain in a colander and then leave to dry out for a few more minutes.
- At this point, cut up your Iberian tocino in to slices and place in a roasting tray. Put the tray into the oven for a few minutes to start to melt and heat up the fat.
- Shake your drained potatoes a bit in the colander to fluff up the edges which will add to the crunch later on and sprinkle with a bit more salt.
- Carefully remove the roasting tray from the oven, it will be hot. Tip your potatoes again carefully into the tray with the melted tocino, take care as some fat may splatter. Don’t worry if not all of the fat has melted yet, it will. With a spoon, mix the potatoes around to ensure they get a good covering.
- Cook in the oven for 30 minutes and then remove the dish and give the potatoes another good mix around which will help with the overall golden colour and crispiness.
- Return to the oven and cook for another 30-40 minutes, depending on how deep you want the colour to be.
- Remove from the oven and place the iberico potatoes onto kitchen `paper to absorb the excess fat and serve.