A lovely Mediterranean roast chicken recipe, with lots of herbs and seasonal vegetables. The thing I like best about this dish is it just goes into the oven and cooks itself!
You will need:
1 whole medium fresh chicken
2 green or red peppers
2 medium onions
1 medium courgette
Salt and pepper
- Wash the chicken inside and out removing any giblets and pat dry. Place in a large oiled roasting tin.
- Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil, season with a little salt and pepper and sprinkle generously with oregano and thyme.
- Cook in a high oven for about 20 minutes basting with the juices.
- Prepare the vegetables by washing and or peeling and chopping into large dice.
- Add the vegetables to the pan and lower the heat on the oven to medium, then cook for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on the size of the chicken.
- You can check the chicken is done by inserting a thin knife between the leg and breast, if the juices run clear then the chicken is cooked, if not leave for another 20 minutes.
- Serve immediately with boiled potatoes or lots of fresh bread to mop up the juices.